This training is only available to Pacific Clinics Staff.
This interactive course helps clinicians build their diagnostic and clinical interviewing skills in order to determine accurate diagnoses while developing therapeutic rapport; resulting in robust individualized assessments that set a strong foundation for case conceptualization and treatment planning. In this training DSM-5 criteria for common diagnoses will be covered, as well as the clinical reasoning processes to differentiate between them. Frequent questions related to the interplay between ICD-10 codes and DSM-5 criteria will be addressed and discussed. Therapeutic attitudes will be explored; and clinical interviewing skills will be reviewed and practiced with a focus on cultural considerations, client’s age, engagement with collaterals, and management of challenging situations.
Upon completion of this training, participants will:
- Demonstrate knowledge of the full DSM-5 criteria for common diagnoses.
- Identify interview questions that will narrow down and differentiate between options, to arrive at the most accurate diagnosis.
- Employ a range of interviewing skills to guide the assessment conversation and respectfully gather information needed for a comprehensive, individualized assessment.
- Demonstrate enhanced ability to engage and build rapport with challenging clients and families.
- Conduct focused diagnostic searches in Welligent to locate the most specific Included ICD-10-CM code that corresponds to the appropriate DSM-5 criteria.
Please bring to the training a copy of your DSM-5 manual if you have one available
Please note that the Child/Adolescent version is for those clinicians who serve clients age 0-17. The Adult version is for those clinicians who serve clients who are 18 years or older.
If your caseload covers both age ranges, then choose which to attend by considering factors such as diagnostic presentation (ex. Do you see more “adult” diagnoses which include psychosis? - Adult version) and who is served (ex. Is there lots of caregiver involvement in treatment? - Child/Adolescent version).
Instructor: Marietta Watson, LMFT
Course #: 3088-C
Location: Pacific Clinics Training Institute
2471 E. Walnut Street
Pasadena, CA 91107